If you have a question that isn’t answered in this FAQ, please leave an IM or notecard and we will respond as soon as we are able.
A) Yes! We handcraft each and every product under the Trompe Loeil brand from scratch – no templates, no purchased models from other 3D sites. Any secondary resources, such as textures or animations, were either made from scratch, designed via purchased software designed for such creations, or legally purchased for use in commercial projects. When you buy a Trompe Loeil product, you are supporting original artists that create their items start to finish just for the Second Life™ grid.
A) Almost all Trompe Loeil products, including prefabs and skyboxes, are mod/copy/no transfer. This is to give the customer the greatest amount of freedom to modify or adjust a Trompe Loeil product to fit their needs. If you wish to give a Trompe Loeil product as a gift, you can do so by clicking the “Gift” button on any Trompe Loeil vendor, or purchasing/gifting the product on the Marketplace. We also offer transferrable Gift Cards in our Mainstore which are perfect for gifting.
Support for mod/copy/no trans products includes promptly correcting any errors found in the “out of the box” condition of the product. Unfortunately, we cannot support correction of or implementation of personalized modifications on behalf of the owner.
A) We do not offer textures for sale or resale, due to the various sources and restrictions on redistributing textures purchased separately for use in our products. Since we have an extremely large collection of asset materials going back over 10 years of design work, and since so many of our textures are modified versions of original assets, it is unfortunately impossible for us to provide original purchasing source information for textures. We purchase all art asset materials from 3rd party companies and not within the SL platform.
A) Gacha prizes are transfer-enabled and we price our Gacha plays accordingly to this expectation. Due to this fact, and the third-party sales market for transferable items that we cannot control, we do not offer mod/copy trade-ins for transfer-enabled Gacha items.
A) Turning off camera restraints in your Preferences will solve the camera bouncing issue inside builds with low ceilings (this setting is also what keeps you from moving your camera underground or across large distances).
Avatar/Preferences/Firestorm/Allow The Camera to move without restraints checked
Ctrl-Alt-D to bring up the Advanced Menu
Advanced/Disable Camera Constraints
A) We do not offer custom modifications to prefab homes or furniture, and due to our event schedule, we do not offer custom building services.
A) Any Trompe Loeil product which is set to mod/copy/no trans – the vast majority of our product line, including all prefabs and skyboxes – is unfortunately non-refundable due to the Second Life permissions system preventing transferring these items back to their original creator. If there are serious unforeseen problems with the purchased product, please contact Cory Edo with details and we will work with you to find a solution that satisfies you!
A) Yes! You can have your purchase re-delivered by using the Redelivery Terminal at the Trompe Loeil main store (at the welcome desk), or drop a notecard to Cory Edo with your purchase information for a personal re-delivery.
A)Thanks for your interest in blogging Trompe Loeil products. We review blogger applications about twice a year to cycle new bloggers onto the list if they’re needed.
To apply, please fill out this form: Trompe Loeil Blogger Application Form
Home & Garden bloggers only please! Clothing bloggers and bloggers that have never featured Trompe Loeil products will not be considered.
We reserve the right to disregard any notecard request that does not list this information, and submission of this information does not guarantee you a future slot in the review copy list.
A) We do not accept requests to sponsor clubs, advertising solicitations, or store rental offers. These submissions will be disregarded.
We do not participate in any charity events as a rule, and prefer to donate to causes directly. Thanks for your understanding.
A) There are several reasons why we specialize in smaller cottage-style builds at a more proportional, realistic scale:
- The range of avatar heights is much greater than a normal, real life building is designed to accommodate. Avatar heights can and do run into the equivalent of 7 or 8 feet tall, and the default camera position (behind and above the avatar head) adds on an additional foot or more of perceived height. We design our builds to fit an average height range, which is approximately equivalent to 6 feet tall. In order to give additional flexibility, we often choose double-height ceiling designs to allow for even more perceived space and headroom.
- Avatars also require additional room to move. Where a regular room may be only several feet at its widest point, translating that into an inworld build would make the room essentially unusable. In the case of smaller cottage-style builds, keeping the interior to 1 or 2 large rooms helps to make the build more usable.
- We release between 3 and 4 projects each month – this leaves us a limited amount of time to plan, design, and build a new prefab for each release. Unfortunately, this also limits the physical size and complexity of the builds we do.
- Focusing on smaller, cottage-style builds allows us to experiment with a wider variety of styles and looks, and also helps us to keep our price point low and affordable. Larger homes require a larger time and effort commitment, and we would have to price those larger builds accordingly, which would be far out of our normal range, and beyond what our customers have come to expect from our product line.
- Our prefabs are sold modify and copy, which makes re-scaling the build larger or smaller to suit using the Edit tools an easy way to adjust a build to your personal preference. Please note, re-scaling mesh builds will change the Land Impact rating accordingly; this is the way the server software functions, and happens with any mesh item.